Synchronicity & the hidden meaning of coincidences

• 12
  • February 13, 2015
synchronicity and the meaning of coincidences

At some point in our lives, we’ve all experienced synchronicities – coincidences in which highly improbable events occur. You’re thinking about an old friend that you haven’t seen in years, then receive a phone call from them a few seconds later. You have a sudden, unexplainable urge to visit a place you have never been to, then end up meeting the love of your life. Are such coincidences merely chance or is there something more at work? What do coincidences mean?

To explain such remarkable events, the Swiss psychologist Carl Jung coined the term “synchronicity”, which he defined as:

“The coming together of inner and outer events in a way that cannot be explained by cause and effect and that is meaningful to the observer.”

Synchronistic events seem to defy all logic and have no rational explanation by the natural laws of cause and effect. However, due to the fact that they have significance and meaning to the observer – and are often profoundly life changing – synchronicity has long fascinated humankind.

The term “synchronicity” is often used rather loosely as a synonym for coincidence. As in, events that trigger the exclamation “What a coincidence!” or “What are the chances?”

Usually, such coincidences seem to have some kind of inherent meaning – even if we don’t know what it is at the time. They make us scratch our heads and wonder, “Hmmm…”

Such events can be relatively minor occurrences or, in some cases, significant events that alter the entire course of our lives.

Just coincidence or something more?

When synchronicities occur, there is almost always a deeper sense of awareness that is activated. It’s as if something sparks within us.

Fleeting though it may be, something stirs.

And even if for just a brief moment, something awakens…

It’s difficult to deny the sensations and energy one feels when experiencing such events firsthand. Even the hardened skeptic feels something. It may just be a feeling of amusement or curiosity, but still, it’s something.

For some, there is a deeper feeling. A feeling of profound awe.

Perhaps it is because our sense of reality is momentarily knocked off balance. The seeming absurdity of such random, improbable events… Random, yet not…

We can’t help but wonder if there is some kind of meaning behind it all.

An underlying interconnectedness?

“In physics, we are taught that every single particle in the universe has a gravitational effect upon every other particle, no matter how far the particles are separated. This unified effect supports the theories that all events are related, in some way, to each other. Thus it can be said that synchronicity is merely a very personal and subjective observation of this inter-connected universe of which we are but a small part.” – Stephen J. Davis

Science and quantum physics point to the notion that everything in the universe is connected. Providing particular support is Bell’s Theorem.

Proclaimed as “the most profound discovery in science” by physicist Henry Stapp in a 1975 federal report, Bell’s theorem postulates that everything in the universe is connected as an indivisible whole. Experiments based on Bell’s Theorem have shown this to be true and that reality is non-local. Einstein referred to this as “spooky action at a distance”. :-)

Could this universal interconnectedness and “spooky action” be an explanation for synchronicity?

A secret language

In author Paulo Coelho’s view, synchronicity is a secret language. The language of the stars, of the Universe. It is something that guides us and provides us with valuable information. Information that can shape our lives for the better and help us to accomplish our dreams.

“Coincidence is the language of the stars. For something to happen, so many forces have to be put into action. According to the ancient alchemists, and to the physicists of today, everything is just one thing only.” – Paulo Coelho

The idea of coincidences as signs and guidance is a major theme of Coelho’s work, including his best-selling book The Alchemist.

The Alchemist has sold over 65 million copies worldwide in over 160 countries and has been translated into 71 languages. Clearly, there is universal appeal and fascination with synchronicity.

What does it all mean?

While many may be skeptical about unseen forces or unexplainable phenomenon, they will almost certainly experience synchronicities at some point in their lives. Highly personal encounters with some mysterious, hidden world.

There is an air of magic, amazement, and excitement that such unexpected and unexplainable experiences bring. They tickle us with a jolt of energy that, even if for just a brief moment, imparts a sense of wonder… a sense of something more.

And what does it mean?

Is it the guiding hand of a divine force? A reflection of our own minds and thoughts? Or simply a byproduct of an interconnected universe with a purely scientific explanation? And if so, what are the implications of this?

And what about the specific synchronicities and coincidences themselves? Are they signs? Messages? Clues? Do they hold valuable keys to our lives? Can they impact our future? Give us direction?

We explore this in more detail here.

Making Sense of it All

If you’re curious about making sense of the synchronicities and coincidences that appear in your own life, something simple you can do is to start keeping track of them.

Write them down somewhere. Make a note of all the different ways that synchronistic events occur in your life.

Whether it’s a coincidence, dream, feeling, hunch, or inspired idea, capture it somewhere.

Write it all down in a journal, on your computer, or in your phone’s note taking app. Our favorite method is to use the Intuition Journal app, to keep everything in one place, but anything will work.

The main thing is to pay attention and start keeping track.

Little by little, the clues will start to add up and things will begin to make sense.

Try it out and see what you find.

Remember…

Remember, you’re the only one who can make sense of synchronicities and what they mean for you. No one else can tell you. And although things may seem outside of your realm of awareness or understanding, you DO know what all of these things mean.

The key is to be able to tap into your own inner knowing (aka intuition) and discern fact from fiction, truth from wishful thinking, fears, or imagination.

If you’d like some tips on how to do this, you can find them here.

Interested in diving deeper into the fascinating realm of synchronicity? Then check out: The Power of Coincidence: How Life Shows Us What We Need to Know by David Richo or Synchrodestiny: Harnessing the Infinite Power of Coincidence to Create Miracles by Deepak Chopra.

Above all, remember:

The answers you seek are all within…

Get FREE intuition tips and resources
Sign up to receive tips, tools, & inspiration to help you harness the power of your inner wisdom and reconnect with who you TRULY are.

38 Comments

• katherine says:

I have just experienced, in one week, seven coincidences. Trying to figure out the meaning of this.

• JOANNE says:

3 times in 7 days the key rings have broken off my keys (two different sets of keys). Also the part of the zip you hold has broken off my purse and my bag at the same time as the first two key incidents (the third key ring breakage was about 30 minutes ago, so I’m waiting for the next zip to break). Does anyone have any idea what this could mean

• Charlee says:

Your coincidence just triggered a coincidence of mine. I broke my purse about a week ago the zipper part fell off and then I just read your comment and I got a jolt of energy. pretty cool

• K says:

I met this guy through a professional set up a few months ago. Straight away I knew there was something special between us. I think he felt the same. Nothing happened. We parted ways. But I couldn’t forget him or the way I felt. One day I was asking universe to give me a sign or something that I’m not crazy about the way I felt and that it was actually meant to be to meet him. And guess what? A few days after I went on the hike to this cave in the middle of nowhere and met the guy by the cave! I couldn’t believe it! We both we’re a bit shocked to see each other again and let alone by the cave in the middle of nowhere! A sign or what??

• N says:

Dart boards. …I keep seeing them everywhere I go for the past few weeks. No clue why. Any thoughts?

• intuitionjournal says:

Hi N. Sorry, just saw your comment. VERY interesting… You might want to take a look at Dr. Judith Orloff’s article about synchronicity, where she mentions “BULL’S EYE”.

Here’s a link to the article: http://www.drjudithorloff.com/Free-Articles/The-Magic-of-Synchronicities

As for what the dart boards mean, this is something that only YOU can interpret, as the meaning will be different for different people. What do dart boards represent to you? Do you have any memories or other associations with dart boards? When you think about dart boards, what comes to mind?

Something that can maybe help is for you to find a way to quiet your mind. Even just closing your eyes and taking a few deep breaths will help.

Once you feel calm, ask yourself what the dart boards might mean. Then, just pay attention to what comes up.

The answers are all there within you. It’s just a matter of discerning what they are.

Since it’s already been nearly 3 months since you posted your comment, if you figured out what the dart boards meant, let us know! So curious! :-)

• Karen says:

it is interesting when we get signs huh? i would love to hear what your dart boards meant…red, green black…are they not the color of the dart board? does that have any meaning? please give an update!

• Alita says:

This has been happening to me my whole life and I am only 17. I gets annoying but also frustrating. I was diagnosed with bipolar depression when I was 7 and I sometimes mistake it for one of my manias. It is hard to understand, but this sometimes but me in a deep depression. My doctors describe this as my brain’s way of straying away from bad thins that are happening or that I think might happen. Do you know if there is any way to control this?

• I love “coincidences”. I wrote a very short simple book on my own experiences to bring confirmation to people who think that it’s all their imagination!! It’s called Coincidences…or are they? by Mary Keena Donnellan.

• Sigh says:

Ugh!!! After reading this article and the comments still more questions than answers. Its frustrating especially when they keep happening and sometimes the coinky dinks are hurtful. It makes me feel like someone or some force is bringing harm and confusion to my life.

• Barbara says:

I have a name not used much today, Barbara, in one morning at one location I met 3 other Barbara’s. then at a store had a random cashier tell me it was national Barbara day.
    Any meaning behind this?

• […] in understandable language, the Intuition Journal  quotes Swiss psychologist Carl Jung who coined the word “synchronicities” as […]

• John Ali Tek says:

Secrets of Synchronicity is become very skeptic especially my father passed away just 40 days ago…And I want to learn if does that “Synchronicity of multi 7 s “mean anything to my life line ? It makes me wonder beyond coincindecenses..I hope you’d give me hand about that…
    Histories of “7” s in my life..as follows
    I was born in 1967
    First school # 317
    My military school # 61790
    My cell phone has two 7s what I had since 1997
    My daughter was born in July 2nd (02.07.93)
    I married with my second wife on 6th of July (06.07.13)
    My father died in July 7th 2017 (17.07.2017) when he was 77 years old..
    and that was the alert me and look back to my entire life !..
    Thanks

• D B says:

I have phases where this happens a lot: I’m working at home, the TV or radio is on, and I’m thinking about something. For some reason I will actually say out loud a word, only to find at that same moment the word being said simultaneously on the TV or radio. And it’s never a real common word like ‘and’ or ‘but’ always a big-ish word like ’employment’ or ‘explosion’. It completely jolts me. As I say, I get this in small phases, most of the time it doesn’t happen. Then it’ll happen many times in a day or for a few days.

• Susan says:

I get the very same thing when I’m typing a text. It jolts me too but I’ve gotten used to it. I left a post below.
      I really should have the tv on while I’m typing this!

• Jerri says:

What does it mean if the synchronicities are so often that you aren’t surprised by them anymore but with one person? The person and I don’t know what is going on. I tease him that he is hiding in my bushes because the randomness of the synchrinicities are uncanny and becoming laughable at this point.

• glen kirkwood says:

for over 30 years now I’m constantly running into another person with my same first and last name.It all stated 30 years ago when I was looking for an apartment to rent. I saw an envelope face down by the mail boxes and decided to pick it up.It was addressed to a person with my same first and last name who had just moved out.A fwhile later that year this person phoned the company I worked for and I answered the phe .He asked my name and then laughed that his name was the same.This same persons banking info appeared on my bank website under my log in.He had a dental surgery booked with the same surgeon on the same day as me and cancelled it,but they cancelled mine instead.He was the patient being seen by a stress DR, just before me,he was in line to get his dog seen by a vet in the next town and many other examples to date!11

• Ashebella says:

23 years ago in Golden Colorado a new couple experience a life-changing event which causes them to get matching tattoo’s. 12 years ago in a different city a lady gets a tattoo to symbolize a life-changing event in her life, then moves to Lakewood Colorado. A few years later this guy’s brother introduces him to another couple. Despite the fact that there was an immediate and strong physical attraction between this man and woman they maintain a friendship that is 100% playtonic for more than 7 years while they are each trying to make their unhappy relationships work with their partners. Out of the blue one day their friendship becomes intimate whereupon they learned two things the first being that they have been the object of the others desire for all those years the second being they have the same exact tattoo just in different places. What would you even call that a coincidence fate or nothing? Any insight would be greatly appreciated thank you

• mack says:

Yo I was just thinking I should write them down and then I see this telling me to do the same thing. fuck man crazy world out there…

• Lydia says:

I am so happy to have come across this website, now I know that I am no going crazy.
    Here is my chain of events,

If I met a guy and there is a romance interest the following happenings,
    I will constantly here his name anywhere and everywhere and even the name
    This will be a conversation with or without me over hearing, turning on the radio, in the shop or at work. Once the love interest continues I will hear the name of home address, as someone’s surname, someone yelling out the name is the street, a song the name of the city or street, etc
    Then for whatever reasons the love interest dies and the whole cycle would draw to a halt.

These love interest does not necessarily develop into an intimate relationship.

I noticed this happens constantly, the only way I could describe the whole experience was like ‘spiritual harassment’ or being ‘under a spiritual radar’ looking at any potential relationship that I could have this is the only way I could describe it. Once the love interest dissolves the coincidences would stop, as though it never happened.

Some Examples:
    A love interest with a very unusual name rang me one evening to share in feelings with me, the next a lady walked into my workplace with the very same usual name.

I deliberately refused to call a potential love interest by his first name, so I would address him by his surname only and the same coincidences would occur and I would never hear his surname, but only his surname.

Another person his name was so over the place that a customer came in and his surname was the name of the love interest home address.

Another time I invented a man and give him a name, and the same coincidences happened, however, it just died down after about 6 weeks.

Before any of these interest could develop into a relationship there seems to be an invisible intensity then the friendship dissolves.

This has been going on for a while, I felt as if someone had done witchcraft, as I cannot seem to point my finger on the meaning.

18 months I met someone who was a love interest and I took the plunge and develop a relationship, however, I would not mention his name, I would address him as Mr and Sir (he found me addressing him that way humorous) for at least 15 months. However, we use to experience strange looks from people whom neither of us knew. The facial expressions would be showing a look of confusion, as to imply who is he, or I didn’t know they were together or how are they together. We would both recognise this bizarre from some people who did not actually know us. This is the only way I can describe the experience. Anyway, the last 3 months, I started to address him by his first name.
    Wow! The coincidences seem to be spiralling out control, his name would pops up in conversations when even if the person has called an incorrect name, his city pops up everywhere, totally unexpected place 6months later it is intensifying to the point it is scary. The relationship has since developed an invisible intensity that cannot be explained and we have drifted.

The only sign I get from this 6 months later is that he must still have an interest, as the ‘spiritual harassment’ or ‘coincidences ‘would not still be happening.

Is there something more creepy going on or am I getting the wrong messages from these re-occurring coincidences?

Thank you for taking the time to read my experiences

Lydia

• Lydia says:

Here is my chain of events,
    If I met a guy and there is a romance interest the following happenings,
    I will constantly here his name anywhere and everywhere and even the name
    These love interest does not necessarily develop into an intimate relationship.
    Some Examples:
    Thank you for taking the time to read my experiences

• Nathalie says:

I’ve had a very similar experience! I was traveling to a city and met a guy there. His name and city suddenly appeared everywhere! His name is also quite unusual. In a movie that I watched the name played an important role, and I’v had an interview with the company where the founder’s first name is this as well. I was wondering what it all meant but now that we haven’t seen each other in over a month and my interest keeps fading away the name also doesn’t pop up anymore. If anyone knows what that could be let me know!

• Susan says:

Reply to Lydia. Thank you for relating your experiences with a love interest as I have the same spooky happenings which are still manifesting 10 years ! after a very short but wonderful relationship and a very deep connection with a guy but due to circumstances we couldn’t be together. It broke my heart at the time.
      But still very frequently unbelievable things happen to remind me of him, the things we shared and the places we spent time in together. It’s very spooky and now I’ve learned to accept these amazing reminders, which were hard to bear initially, and as you say maybe he is still feeling the connection too and the Universe is reminding us of each other. So now when something relevant manifests and hits me I just say “Hi, J” and smile and remember with love everything we shared. I know that we will meet again someday, on the avenue …..

• Kathy Jay says:

I am amazed…….I worked with a bloke called Kevin but he was very quiet around me, I didn’t think he was that bothered about me, I left the job because it wasn’t bringing me joy and happiness. Immediately afterwards I bumped into his other workmates, which I never did before then I bumped into Kevin, we had a little chat but that was it, we carried on walking up the street and said goodbye. At work I was left confused about him, he didn’t talk to me hardly, but I noticed he did look at me a few times, not sure what that was all about. And he would walk pass me lots when I was working. Anyway that was a few months ago now, but now just recently I keep hearing the name Kevin and see different Kevins on different things, it’s not the Kevin I worked with but what’s all this about??? It’s seems strange to me that all of a sudden I see a Kevin on the news etc, I don’t really understand it as it has never happened before. It all seems a bit odd to me.

• Lance says:

Such stories are endless, the frustration is in what the heck this means, any theories from this crowd?

• intuitionjournal says:

Hi Lance. Sorry for late reply! Just wanted to suggest a book by David Richo called “The Power of Coincidence”. The author provides his theories about synchronicity and coincidences, what they mean (or don’t mean), and goes into detail describing the various types of synchronicities that occur.

Not sure if the book is for everyone, but it is certainly fascinating and thought-provoking!

Here’s the description that is on the back cover of the book:

“Meaningful coincidences and surprising connections occur all the time in our daily lives, yet we often fail to appreciate how they can guide us, warn us, and confirm us on our life’s path. This book explores how meaningful coincidence operates in our daily lives, in our intimate relationships, and in our creative endeavors.

The Power of Coincidence will help you to: interpret a series of similar happenings, open yourself to assisting forces around you, understand how your dreams can guide you through life events, use your creative imagination in life choices — and live in accord with your deepest needs and wishes, as revealed to you my meaningful coincidences.”

Not sure that that helps, but just wanted to share! Since not everyone will want to read an entire book, I’m thinking about writing a post that synthesizes some of Richo’s main theories. :-) Hopefully, that will help ease some of the frustration… because, yeah… synchronicities are fascinating, but then we are usually just left scratching our heading wondering, “What the heck just happened??? And why??” :-P

At the very least, I enjoy the fact that for just a moment, I can feel a sense of something “beyond the ordinary”… beyond this world and beyond my comprehension.

If I don’t think about things toooo much, then I can just enjoy that there may just be a little bit of magic out there — and that there is an interconnectedness to everything…. even if there isn’t any “meaning” behind the connection. Just the fact that things could, in some way, be connected by forces unseen is enough to spark WONDER.

So, without having any answers, my feeing is that we can ENJOY synchronicities — enjoy the mystery (even if it will always remain mysterious and unknown).

However, people like David Richo, the author I mentioned earlier, provide some pretty fascinating explanations / theories as to what they DO potentially mean — and how one might interpret them. And this can be hugely helpful as well.

Ooops… this has gotten really long! Sorry. Thanks for listening to my little rant!

All the best,
      Michelle

• Susan says:

Same here with someone on the television saying the exact same word at the very second I’m typing it on an iPhone message. It happened again tonight. The word was Zurich. It wasn’t even a travel programme and I’d been channel-hopping and stopped at the particular tv channel totally randomly. This happens to me so often it makes me smile now and I say “yep got that one” to the higher force I believe is playing games with me ! It IS very spooky though.

• KLS says:

I went through a period back in 1993-94 when I was experiencing a string of coincidences (or as I came to call them, ‘coin-incidences’, for a reason too long to explain here) that all seemed to be leading to a certain conclusion. But I lost my way a bit, got caught up in ego, they stopped happening, and nothing much of came of them. For the next several years, I would only experience them infrequently.

But a few months ago, the frequency with which they happen started increasing again, as did the meaningfulness of them, and now I feel like I am in a period similar to the one I was in about 24 years ago. And some of them that have happened have been pretty mind-blowing. A funny one regarding this very article – like the other poster “mack,” I’ve been thinking lately that I should start writing them down, keep a journal of sorts, then I come to this article, and see advice to do exactly that.

The biggest one was about 2 weeks ago, we were watching a TV show, and in that show, the phrase “memento mori” was mentioned and featured prominently. I had never heard it before in my 47 years, and thought it was interesting. Later on that evening when I retired to bed, I picked up the novel I had been reading and was completely blown away when, on one of the pages I was reading that very night, not 2 hours after finishing the TV program, the phrase “memento mori” was mentioned ! It had not been mentioned before in the book, and I had never heard it before that night. Now what are the chances of seeing it on that show, and just happening to read that very spot, in that very book, on that very night, only 2 hours later…? Talk about synchronicity. It might not sound too mind-blowing to anyone else, but it certainly was for me.

I am not quite sure what it all means, but it sure feels like it is leading to something. What, I don’t know. But I sure do love that it’s happening, there is no feeling like it in the world. I am grateful to be experiencing this again, trying to remain humble, and not read too much into it. I do like the idea of keeping a journal of them though, and now that I have read this, it confirms my intuition – a coin-incidence about coincidences lol – I am going to start, today!

• Lydia says:

This has happened to me so many times.

• intuitionjournal says:

Hi KLS! Thanks for sharing your experiences. It’s been over a month since you posted your comment here, but I wanted to ask if the synchronicities have continued?

Also, I wanted to share an incredible book I came across a couple of weeks ago called “The Power of Coincidence”. Wish I knew about this book before I wrote this article! It is PACKED with incredibly useful information. The author has dedicated decades of his life studying the phenomenon of synchronicity.

I am planning to write a new post about the book. However, for now, I highly recommend it to anyone who would like to learn more about synchronicity.

Here’s the link: https://www.amazon.com/Power-Coincidence-Life-Shows-What/dp/1590304276

It really is an incredible book. Answers ALL of the questions that people have been posting here. ;-)

Hope this helps!

– Michelle

• My life has been nothing but coincidences. Everything i went through lines up. Even my writings as a teen happened. I wished for a baby april 22 2014 on fb and exactly 3 yrs to the day. April 22 2017 my son was born is name everlasting. My cat gave birth to kittens soon after.

• Lydia says:

My whole life is filled with strange coincidences . Sometimes I think I am either super lucky, or super unlucky. Recently there has been this thing happening that whenever I talk about someone they walk past five to ten minutes later. It has happened ten times in the past week, and it is starting to freak me out. I also have many witnesses, and everyone I tell this too is shocked.

• Trinity says:

What does it mean when several people with the same birthday as yourself enter your life, with a few closely related? What are the chances of that?

• Hannah says:

it’s cool reading your stories. I had a lot too — too much to share though. But most of the time it’s with the number 911 – my birthday, September 11. Once it appears, it reappears at least 3-4 times within the day. On phone, clocks, stickers, and not knowing i was watching robert pattinson’s Remember me movie, which he died during the 911 incident. strange eh?

Another is when im on the road, once i see 3 white cars in synchronize form, i’ll be seeing more white cars.

• Bal says:

I was just about to stop reading but for some reason I am now writting this after my phone wouldn’t let me leave! Or was i compelled to write something after years of ignoring these strange things and coincidences that keep happening to me.
    I try an fight it but it just gets stronger and more frequent.
    Wow my phone keeps getting interference as I’m writting this and a strange 369 coincidence just happened just as i channel hopped…
    It all started with tesla.

• Hopeful says:

I have been pondering these coincidences I have never experienced with anyone in my life and would like any of your thoughts.

Someone that I work with, although not closely seem to have many in common with me. It didn’t occur to me until a female colleague of mine whom WAS a friend (who was also obsessing over this man I might add) pointed out to me:

•Same initials (first and last) including our nicknames
    •same birth month
    •his mother and I share the same name
    •we have the same car brand although different models (a very uncommon brand)
    •Our cars are the same color
    •I just discovered recently that the first two letter/number on our license plates are the same
    •we have similar mannerisms
    •we are both single, never married nor have children
    •we are both extremely picky when it comes to a potential partner (I’ve always struggled with men for this reason. I would rather be alone than to be stuck with someone who has no potential)

What does this mean? Odd coincidences? Could it be fate or a sign from the universe that we are meant to be? I’ve longed for the right life partner and seem to have failed several times previously. Or am I over-analyzing? Your thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you